must-bgPage 1Page 1clockclosePage 1facebookPage 1Page 1linkedinPage 1Page 1searchsearchtwitterPage 1

THE SCULPTURE PARK

Several sculptures from the collection are located in the surrounding park.

Stavanger_kunstmuseum_bilde_kart-skulptu

1. Antony Gormley (b. 1950): Broken Column, 1999, sandblasted steel
Gift from Christian Bjelland, Ådne Kverneland and Stavanger Municipality

Antony Gormley’s Broken Column (Brutt søyle) is the museum’s most extensive sculptural installation. It consists of 23 identical rusted steel sculptures that are placed outside and inside buildings, in public and private locations, at typical art venues but also in ordinary locations. The 1,95 meter-tall sculptures are made using a cast of the artist’s own body. They relate to each other through a proportional system involving the direction in which they face and their position above or below sea level. The sculpture at the fish market, which looks out over the harbour, faces 10 degrees west. From this starting point, all the directions of the other sculptures are determined. The idea is that all the sculptures look out over the ocean. Each one is positioned at a specific height, such that if they were together, they would form an imagined column. At the top of the imagined column is the sculpture inside Stavanger Art Museum. It stands in its own ‘white cube’, 41,41 metres over sea level. The next sculpture is in Mosevannsparken on the side closest to Eiganes neighbourhood; it is a body-length lower: 39,46 meters over sea level. With intervals of 1,95 meters over sea level, the placement of sculptures continues towards the city centre. The last sculpture stands at 1,23 meters under the normal sea level, on a rock skerry near the islet Natvigs Minde. Broken Column is different from traditional sculptures of famous men. The iron men stand with their feet planted on the ground, as silent witnesses, at eye-level with the city’s inhabitants.

2. Aase Texmon Rygh (b.1925), Møbius stående, 1995, bronze
Gift from Stavanger Art Museum’s Society of Friends

Next to the museum’s main entrance stands the bronze sculpture Møbius stående, which Aase Texmon Rygh made in 1995. This artist, who holds a unique position in Norwegian art history, is often described as the ‘Grand Old Lady’ of Norwegian Modernist sculpture. At the age of 27, Texmon Rygh was the first to introduce abstract sculpture to the Norwegian public. Her production as a whole shows striking stringency. Throughout her career she has worked towards an increasingly universalised and abstract visual language – towards sculptures based on mathematical principles and with no relation to time and place.

3. Bård Breivik (1948 – 2016), Skara Brae, 1998, stone
Gift from Stavanger Art Museum’s Society of Friends

Near a grove a trees stands the sculptural group Skara Brae (1998), made in stone by Bård Breivik. The title refers to a well-known archaeological site on the west side of Mainland, one of the Orkney Islands. By relating the sculptural group to a society that existed 3,000 years ago, the artist invites us to make mystical associations. With its placement in Stavanger and its title relating to the Orkney Islands, the sculptural group also marks a cultural connection spanning the North Sea.

4. Magnus Vigrestad (1887 – 1957), Barbarkvinnen (The Barbarian Woman), 2004, bronze
Gift from Frederik Hansen and Stavanger Art Museum’s Society of Friends

In the park called Mostunhagen near the museum, one can find The Barbarian Woman, Magnus Vigrestad’s (1887 – 1957) most important work. The original was made in 1914 and featured in the annual Autumn Exhibition in Oslo that same year. In 1964 the artist’s family gave the plaster cast for the work to the museum. The bronze reproduction in the park was made by the sculptor Hugo Vatne.

5. Jan Groth (b.1938) Stele for Stavanger, 2009, bronze
Gift from Stavanger Municipality

The visitors’ centre of Friends of the Earth Norway (Naturvernforbund) is the museum’s closest neighbour. Here you can find Jan Groth’s (b. 1938) freestanding sculpture Stele for Stavanger, which was commissioned by the City of Stavanger on the occasion of the artist’s 70th birthday. The sculpture is nine metres tall and made specifically for its present location.